RE: Sovling integrals: non-algebraic???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35394] RE: [mg35369] Sovling integrals: non-algebraic???
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:22:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm sure that equation has no closed form solution; hence it's no
surprise if Mathematica can't find one.  MANY problems have no solution.
Real world problems almost NEVER have a solution.  It's often your task
to simplify your problem intelligently until it becomes a problem you
can solve.

The following steps transform the problem to something less ugly:

int = Integrate[c x^d, {x, a, b}];
eqn = int == y
eqn2 = #(1 + d)/c & /@ eqn // Simplify
eqn3 = eqn2 /. d -> f - 1
eqn4 = # - eqn3[[2, 1]] & /@ eqn3
eqn5 = eqn4 /. y/c -> h

If you can solve for f, use d==f-1.

That's one equation in four unknowns, and it's transcendental in the one
you want to solve for, so...

Good luck!

Bobby Treat