Re: cross product

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35378] Re: [mg35367] cross product
  • From: Garry Helzer <gah at math.umd.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:19:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 06:50  AM, Umby wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> how can I achieve the CrossProduct of two 4*1 vectors (in homogeneous
> coordinate)?
> For instance: CrossProduct[{a,b,c,1},{d,e,f,1}]
> Thanks in advance
>
> Umby

You don't want to do that. Homogeneous coordinates represent points
(little dots) not vectors  (little arrows). Homogeneous coordinates do
not obey the algebraic/geometric laws that vectors do. So what is it
that you really want to do?

The cross product is usually used to find a direction perpendicular to a
piece of a plane. In the homogeneous context directions are handled by
ideal points--points of the form {a,b,c,0}. Suppose that you have a
piece of a surface and you want a perpendicular direction. To have a
piece of a surface you must have at least 3 points: a triangle say.

Now, to keep from confusing myself, I am going to change notation. When
writing homogeneous coordinates I will put the "extra" coordinate
first--{1,a,b,c} instead of {a,b,c,1}. Directions are given by
coordinates of the form {0,a,b,c}.

Let the 3-by-4 matrix M have the homogeneous coordinate vectors of the
three points of your triangle for rows. Suppose that Minors[M,3] is
{{a,b,c,d}}. A direction perpendicular to your triangle is {0,c,-b,a}.

Given the directions of some light sources you could now use this
direction to compute a color for your triangle.

Remarks:
1. The homogeneous coordinates of the points need not begin with 1.
2. The list {a,b,c,d} gives the coordinates of the trivector
representing the plane.
3. The computation uses only integer arithmetic.

Garry Helzer
Department of  Mathematics
University of Maryland
1303 Math Bldg