Re: Orientation of BarChart labels

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg35708] Re: Orientation of BarChart labels
  • From: Tom Burton <tomburton at>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:17:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I noticed today that no response has been posted to the following question:

On 6/27/02 11:55 PM, in article afh19m$r9j$1 at, "Coleman, Mark"
<mark.coleman at> wrote:

> Greetings
> I am creating bar charts for values that have fairly long names. The default
> BarLabels option depicts the labels horizontally, causing the labels to over
> run eachother and make the chart unreadable. Is there a way to alter the
> orientation of the bar labels to veritical?
> Thanks,
> -Mark

The solution I prefer is to turn the bars horizontal, so the long labels
appear left of the abscissa and can be easily read. Do this:

BarChart[stuff, BarOrientation -> Horizontal]

Depending upon your operating system, you may need to add
RotateLabel->False. On Mac OSX I don't have to, because the Mac version
cannot rotate text anyway :(

Hope this helps.

Tom Burton

PS Still running 4.1.5.