Package Puzzlers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35737] Package Puzzlers?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:32:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to make some simple packages. Not even much worried about
contexts or protection, since all symbols likely to be global anyway.

But I would like to put multiple cells including notebook type header
cells in these packages -- primarily, I suppose, because this makes the
code so much easier to edit and more readable, for me anyway, than using
(*  *) style comments.

1)  All the package demos and templates I've seen seem to be single
cells (though that's not always very clearly stated).  Do packages have
to be single cells?  Or can they have multiple cells, including header
cells?

2)  How come compound expressions in these single-cell packages don't
seem to need semicolons between the expressions?

3)  As an alternative to a package, suppose I just  want a cell in
notebook A to execute the entirely of another notebook B, again with no
context concerns, all symbols global, and notebooks A and B both open on
the desktop.

What exactly do I need to put in notebook A to do this?  (I can read all
about the NotebookCreate, NotebookWrite, NotebookFind commands -- I just
can't find a "NotebookRun" or "NotebookExecute" command.)

Mac PB G3, OS 9.1, Mathematica 4.0.