Rotating text on a Macintosh screen?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35792] Rotating text on a Macintosh screen?
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:33:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Since switching to Mac OSX almost a year ago, I have suffered with ugly
on-screen FrameLabels on 2D graphs. The ordinates' labels are supposed to
rotate, but on screen they don't. Wolfram places the blame on "your system's
default font manager" and singled out Macintosh systems,

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/graphics/textfonts/rotatedtext.html

in a FAQ response last updated January 2000. So this is a long-standing
issue. The most recent helpful discussion I found in the mathgroup archives
is far older,

http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/1997/Mar/msg00257.html

and the status of the issue apparently remains unchanged since then.

But as on-screen documents become more important and post-script documents
(which do rotate text) less important, this issue is getting increasingly
serious. The failing contaminates exported PDF files (on screen), too. So I
am (without much hope) raising this issue once again: Wolfram's FAQ response
cited above refers the failing of the DEFAULT font manager. Can I perhaps
install another font manager that would correct the problem? Or shall I
suffer the fate of poor Mr. Zacher in 1997, who on a wild goose chase
installed various font managers on Mac without success?

Thanks much in advance for any help.

Tom Burton