Re: repeated entries in File>Palettes list

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg34760] Re: [mg34561] repeated entries in File>Palettes list
  • From: Dale Horton <daleh at>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 03:38:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

At 12:17 AM 5/27/2002, Jonathan Rockmann wrote:

>Greetings to my friends all over the world.
>The subject line pretty much says it all.  After having installed
>and uninstalled various Mathematica programs which come with their own
>I'm stuck with sometimes three entries of the same palette name on the
>palettes list.  They all pull up the same palette, so there's no problem there,
>but I'd like to get it down to just one entry.  After fiddling with
>some of the files I'm familiar with to no avail it's time to pass it to
>someone with more expertise.
>My complements to the entire global Mathematica community which
>participates in this forum.  I learn a great deal just by taking
>a few minutes everyday to read the postings.
>Thank You,
>mtheory at

Here's a routine that will find what files should appear in the palette
menu. Perhaps you have multiple copies of the palettes in places that
you're not aware of.

listdirs[FrontEnd`FileName[{begin___, Verbatim[_], end___}, ___]] :=
     choices =
           ToFileName[{begin}]], (FileType[#]===Directory)&];
     Map[ToFileName[{#, end}]&, choices] ]

listdirs[dir_] := ToFileName@dir

(* get the fe path setting *)
path = FullOptions[$FrontEnd, PalettePath];

(* convert fe directories into kernel directories *)
path = Flatten[listdirs/@path];

(* find all nbs in those directories *)
pals = FileNames["*.nb", path]

If you do not have multiple copies of the palettes in this list, then
perhaps your preferences are corrupted.