Rule parameter passing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34855] Rule parameter passing
  • From: TerryH <tharter at attglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 05:10:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All:

   What is the best way in which to write a rule in which the rule's
parameters
may vary?  I'm trying to do some symbolic replacements in various matrix
expressions,
in which sometimes the variables are say aA and Subscript[ \[Delta] ,
\[aA] ], and
at other times the variables can be dD (say).
I have been able to do this by applying succesive rules, as in

   matrix /. aA-> aA + Subscript[ \[Delta] , \[aA] ]  /. x_Subscript->
fcn[ /[Delta], bB]  /.aA-> bB

where the function 'fcn' is:  fcn[y_,sub_] := ysub

   However, I need to embed this code inside a Module, and have not been
able to successfully pass
variables into the successive transformation rules listed avove.

Anybody got any ideas on how to do this efficiently?  Is the onlty way
to do this is to write a Package?
Unfortunately, I have no experience in writing a package.  Thanks in
advance to all who may reply!
....Terry