Re: Using Mathgroup Effectively -- cutting and pasting expressions

Richard  Palmer <dickp at bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:<adv5tt$dc$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Thanks for your reply.  I know it isn't your problem as the mail group
> moderator, but I am personally annoyed at the difficulty of copying and
> pasting sections of Mathematica code as text.  When I cut and paste from a notebook
> using an ASCII text editor (TEXTEDIT on the MAC)  the result comes out like
>
> Cell[BoxData[
> <goobledygook snipped>
>
> This is absolutely worthless for communication.

If I understand the problem correctly, it seems that Mathematica already
has a facility for doing this, though perhaps not as convenient as one
would like.

For example, I enter as input:

Integrate[x Log[x], x]

Hit Shift/Enter and Mathematica responds with its output. If I simply
copy the output cell and paste it in a text editor, it's goobledygook:

But if I select the output cell, pick "Cell|Convert to|Input form"
from the menu (Shift/Ctrl/I on Windows), then copy/paste, I get reasonable
ASCII text:

-(x^2/4) + (1/2)*x^2*Log[x]

Of course, if this were a carefully formatted notebook, I'd need to discard
the changes after conversion and copying. Given all the other options
under the "Edit|Copy as" menu, it would be nice if Wolfram would add
"Copy as input form", perhaps with the option of making it the default.

-- Dave Collins