Finding a formula for a sum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35104] Finding a formula for a sum
  • From: Matthias.Bode at oppenheim.de
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:39:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Colleagues,

when trying to find the number of diagonals in a convex polygon (all corners
on the perimeter of a circle) with n corners I came across that sum:

+(n-3) ; up to here = diagonals in a triangle.

+(n-3) ; up to here = diagonals in a quadrangle.

+(n-4) ; up to here = diagonals in a pentagon.

+(n-5) ; up to here = diagonals in a hexagon.

+(n-6) ; up to here = diagonals in a heptagon.
and so on.

I found the general formula (n*n -3*n)/2 with pencil and paper.

How could I coax MATHEMATICA into helping me to find the generalization in
this case - and of course for more difficult ones as well?

Best regards,
Matthias Bode
Sal. Oppenheim jr. & Cie. KGaA
Koenigsberger Strasse 29