Characters Allowed in Symbols

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37839] Characters Allowed in Symbols
  • From: "Hermann Schmitt" <schmitther at netcologne.de>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:12:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
On page 1000 of the Mathematica book you can read:
"The name of a symbol must be a sequence of letters, letter-like symbols and
digits".
My question is: What letter-like forms are allowed?
Apparently "$" is allowed, additionally, I found, that "§" is allowed.
Are there yet other characters, which are allowed?
My aim is to use symbols in my package, which do not interfere with symbols,
which the user wants to define.
Hermann Schmitt