Alignment for MatrixForm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37055] Alignment for MatrixForm
  • From: Jean-Christophe Deschamps <jch.deschamps at>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 05:26:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I look for a way to right align entries output by MatrixForm. There is an ad
hoc option, but I haven't figured out how it is supposed to work in Mathematica 4.0
(if it works at all).

appears identical to

MatrixForm[m]  (with no SetOptions override)

Strangely, Mathematica doesn't complain if you input ill options like:

In Mathematica 2.2x, the behavior is rather strange: one option alone works, but
when two are given (e.g. {Right,Top}), only the last seems to be acted upon.
I didn't bother to try hard with the older version, so don't flame me if I'm

At the other hand, when a TableAlignments->Right is given to TableForm,
entries are right-aligned correctly.

Can someone provide a way out (even a slow external module) or tell me how
to use this option.

I apologize for using a phony address in an attempt
to keep my real mailbox out of reach of spammers.