Re: Complex numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg37151] Re: [mg37138] Complex numbers
- From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
- Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 05:56:40 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 10/12/02 at 5:05 AM, pascal at go.ro (CeZaR) wrote: >I want to perform this calculation: > >In:=z1 = a1 + b1 I Out=a1 + \[ImaginaryI] b1 In:=z2 = a2 + b2 >I Out=a2 + \[ImaginaryI] b2 In:=Abs[(z1 - z2)/(1 - z1 >Conjugate[z2])] > >This should output 1! But it doesn't work... > >Also, Abs[a1+b1 I] doesn't get the right result. Any ideeas? What do you mean by "doesn't work" and "doesn't get the right result"? Do you mean Mathematica returns an unevaluated expression? If so, have you assigned values to the symbols a1, b1, a2 and b2? If you haven't assigned values, how is Mathematica to know these symbols do not take on complex values?