PatternMatching with Dt[]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37264] PatternMatching with Dt[]
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:29:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I would like to replace Dt[x_] in a complex
expression. For example consider

where x is a pure Symbol (has no value).
However, Mathematica refuses apply the rule.
Various other attempts, for example
and HoldForm[...] were unsuccessful.

I managed to  circumvent the problem by
However, I were more happy if I understood why the
first attempt was not successful.
Can someone explain?

Best regards,
	Johannes Ludsteck