Re: Error handling with MathLink

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37317] Re: [mg37287] Error handling with MathLink
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 02:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 04:47 AM, Y.A.Tesiram wrote:

> G'day all,
> How do I return errors to Mathematica from a MathLink program?
> For e.g.
> 	ptr = malloc( HUGE_VAL );
> 	if (ptr == NULL) {
> 		// How do I return an error value to mathematica here?
> 	}

Simply put the information into the link.  For example here is an error
check in some of my MathLink code:

MLCheckFunction( stdlink, list, &len);
	if (len != c) {
		MLEvaluateString( stdlink, "Message[GUPTRI::sizemsmtch]");
		MLPutNext( stdlink, MLTKSYM);
		MLPutSymbol( stdlink, "$Failed");
                 goto finish;

The finish label simply terminates the program.  You can put the
messages into the .tm file with Evaluate lines.