Re: 2 gifs side by side -- with hyperlinks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36490] Re: [mg36469] 2 gifs side by side -- with hyperlinks
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 00:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> (1) Is there a way in Mathematica 4.2 to put two separate gifs into a
> single, cell side by side (with some intervening space), without
> having to combine them in some graphics program first?
>
> In particular, I'd like to do that within a text cell.
>
> Even in a new Input cell, if I first create a GridBox (via Inut>Create
> Table/Matrix/Palette) and then try to insert the first gif (via
> Edit>Insert Object>Create from File ....), Mathematica promptly
> crashes.    (Mathematica 4.2 under Windows 2000.)

You could do something like this:

grlist = Map[Import[#, "GIF"]&, {<first file>, <second file>}]

celist = Map[Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript", DisplayString[#]]]&, grlist]

CellPrint[Cell[BoxData[GridBox[{celist}]], "Text"]]

This embeds the PostScript versions of these graphics each as inline cells
in a GridBox[] structure.

> (2) Is there a way to cause a gif imported into a Mathematica 4.2
> notebook to become a hyperlink -- so that when the user clicks on the
> gif the hyperlink's target is summoned?

Again, we embed the PostScript graphic within an inline cell.  Here is a
function that does what you describe:

createGIFHyperlink[gifImage_String, url_String] :=
  NotebookWrite[EvaluationNotebook[],
    Cell[BoxData[
        ButtonBox[
          Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript",
              DisplayString[Import[gifImage, "GIF"]]]],
          ButtonStyle -> "Hyperlink", ButtonData :> {URL[url], None}]],
      "Text"]]

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com