Arrow pointers rather than Legend

Instead of using Legend in plots with multiple series is there a way
to have arrows with a text at the end identifying the different
series? The reason I'd like this is that the legend is a bit 'bulky'
looking and I'd want something tidier.

I know there is an Arrow package but I think you'd need to manually
enter each start and end point of each arrow - is there a simple
command to do this?

Also - is there a way to adjust the legend font size? I.e. make it
small so that it doesn't interfere with data series.
   _
  |\
    \
     \