Writing graphics to another notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43061] Writing graphics to another notebook?
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:46:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It could save me some unpredictable amount of experimenting with the
(moderately complicated) Notebook commands if someone could just lay out
a template structure that would show me what commands to put in a
primary notebook "A" so as to:

*   Create a new named notebook "B" and open it for writing

*   Within a Do loop or other iterative structure in A, repeatedly
create graphics (Plots or DisplayTogethers) which are not displayed in A
but are written to B and displayed there.  (No need to retain any memory
of the individual graphics in A, if that helps with memory conservation.)

*  Save the notebook B to my HD, maybe each time a new graphic is added
within the iteration (for safety against crashes or freezes), and also
at the end of the iteration.

*  After exiting the iterative structure and still under program control
in A, Select and Export the complete string of graphics in B as a
QuickTime movie.

*   After existing the iterative structure, perhaps also Select and
Animate all the graphics in B (preferably but not necessarily returning
control to A when this animation is terminated).

I know about setting directories and assembling file names from strings.
This is on a Mac, OS 9, Mathematica 4.2.