SoBig Virus and the Mathematica mailing list and newsgroup

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43271] SoBig Virus and the Mathematica mailing list and newsgroup
  • From: "Steven M. Christensen" <steve at smc.vnet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:08:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To members of the Mathematica newgroup and mailing list.

The latest SoBig virus exists on some of your Windows machines and
others of you may be getting the virus emails from either users of the
mailing list who have saved your posts on their PCs or apparently from
the mathgroup mail server.  I have logged more than 1,000 attempts to
send the virus to my mail machine.

First, I must state that if you are getting the virus from the
mathgroup at smc.vnet.net or steve at smc.vnet.net addresses, they are NOT
coming from me.  The addresses have been taken from some reader of the
group who has these addresses on their machines.

It is not possible for a Windows virus to infect from my machines which
are Sun Workstations and not Windows machines.  Further, I NEVER send
out attachments on any mail from the mailing list or newsgroup.   I edit
every message by hand and remove all attachments.  I also have filters
that will stop the virus from even getting to my mail machines.

I strongly recommend that if you might have the virus on your machine
or perhaps have not checked, go to one of these sites to find out how
to remove it and protect your machine in the future.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3505076,00.html

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f at mm.html

Good luck,

Steve Christensen