Re: log-log plot with error bars, different data markers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45007] Re: log-log plot with error bars, different data markers
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:42:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/11/03 at 5:28 AM, nmoore at physics.umn.edu (Nathan Moore) wrote:

> That standard way that Mathematica allows one to plot with different
> data markers (open circles, triangles etc) is with the command
> "MulltipleListPlot".    This is also the command that allows one to
> plot with error bars.  Is there a way to have the scale of such a plot
> to be log-log rather than linear style?

Yes and no. Yes, it is possible to create log-log plots with different symbols and error bars. But no, doing so isn't an option of one of the standard packages so as to be easily automated. You will most likely find you need to use some of Mathematica's graphics primitives to achieve what you want.

If I were to do this with the standard packages, I might try creating separate log-log plots using PlotStyle for each data set I wanted plotted with a different symbol and combine them with DisplayTogether. To add error bars, I might use Epilog to add lines to the plots.

Another approach would be to use the package DrawGraphics David Park created. That package allows each of the elements of a plot to be treated almost like a graphics primitive. Indvidual elements can then be easily combined to create a final plot not easily done with the routines in the packages that come with Mathematica.
--
To reply via email subtract one hundred and nine