Re: trig substitution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45009] Re: trig substitution
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:42:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here's a way to reason toward that integral.

We know (or should know) the following integral:

Integrate[1/(1 + x^2), x]
ArcTan[x]

Your integrand is the square of that one, of course. But if we
subtract your integrand minus a constant c times the other one, we get
this:

Together[1/(1 + x^2)^2 - c/(1 + x^2)]
(1 - c - c*x^2)/(1 + x^2)^2

The constant part of the numerator gets us back to the original
problem, but the other part gives a term like

(c*x^2)/(1 + x^2)^2

If we can integrate this, we can integrate the original problem. But
how?

We expect (or should expect) the integral to be something like

(a*x)/(1 + x^2)

(...from thinking about what happens when we differentiate a fraction.
The denominator gets squared, and the numerator is 2x times the
numerator, so it's no problem to get a squared term up top if we have
a x up there already. There's another term, of course, so the
derivative is actually a polynomial like the one above.)

So let's just solve for the constants!

s = SolveAlways[
   1/(1 + x^2)^2 ==
    D[(a*x + b)/(1 + x^2),
      x] + c/(1 + x^2), x]

{{b -> 0, a -> 1/2, c -> 1/2}}

It follows that the original integrand is equal to

D[(a*x)/(1 + x^2), x] +
   c/(1 + x^2) /. First[s]
Simplify[%]

-(x^2/(1 + x^2)^2) + 1/(1 + x^2)
1/(1 + x^2)^2

and hence the integral is

(a*x)/(1 + x^2) + Integrate[
    c/(1 + x^2), x] /.
  First[s]
x/(2*(1 + x^2)) + ArcTan[x]/2

And that's Mathematica's answer, of course.

Integrate[1/(1 + x^2)^2, x]

(1/2)*(x/(1 + x^2) + ArcTan[x])

Bobby