Re: Now I understand that it was an input problem!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45035] Re: Now I understand that it was an input problem!!
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 06:06:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/12/03 at 4:42 AM, geogeo9090 at yahoo.com (geoman) wrote:

> But mathematica WANTS
>  Log[x]     groan!!!

> Mathematica could have saved two weeks of trouble if it had just said "Incorrect format"

If Mathematica had done this it would be wrong. Mathematica cannot know you intended Log[x] instead of defining a new function when you type log[x]. If I wanted, I could define functions as

ln[x_]:=Log[x]
log[x_]:=Log[10,x]

And clearly if I had done so Mathematica would integrate correctly and be very incorrect to say "Incorrect format" when I type log[x]
--
To reply via email subtract one hundred and nine