Fit or Interpolate

Hello all,

Another in a series of potentially simple questions:

What is the difference between using Fit and Interpolation?
f[x_]=Fit[data, {1,x},x]
-or-
f[x_]=Interpolation[data][x]

I do know that Fit can take arguments for the independant variables
form like:
f[x_]=Fit[data, {1,x},x]
f[x_]=Fit[data, {1,x,x^2},x]
but that's a bit of guesswork if you have a limited set of points, no?

Also, is there a function in Mathematica that allows me to swap
dependent and independent variables? e.g. x=2.5y --> y=x/2.5

Thanks much,

David Seruyange
Student