To print and not to print

Group,

I have a  program with a lot of  *Print["Something"] *  calls imbedded.
This calls are there for intermediate computation tracing purposes; in
other words, I want this in case I need to trace some points in some
instances of some computations, as a (standard) service of my program. But
I would like to be able to disable this printing facility by using some
standard Mathematica variable/option like *DisplayFunction -> Identitiy* if
available. Any clue?

Best regards.

E. Martin-Serrano