Limits: Is there something I'm missing Here?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39333] Limits: Is there something I'm missing Here?
  • From: "Ashraf El Ansary" <Elansary at btopenworld.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:47:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear all,
One thing I've noticed that if we have a function which has two different
limits (given two different directions) at one points , mathematica would be
still give an answer though to my understanding the limit doesn't exist in
such a case.

Consider the following example:
a[x_]:=1/x

Limit[a[x],x->0,Direction->+1]    +Inf

Limit[a[x],x->0,Direction->+1]    -Inf

Limit[a[x],x->0].            +Inf.... Maybe my calculus knowledge is a bit
rusty but does the limit exist in this case??

Thank you