Limits: Is there something I'm missing Here?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg39333] Limits: Is there something I'm missing Here?
- From: "Ashraf El Ansary" <Elansary at btopenworld.com>
- Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:47:11 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Dear all, One thing I've noticed that if we have a function which has two different limits (given two different directions) at one points , mathematica would be still give an answer though to my understanding the limit doesn't exist in such a case. Consider the following example: a[x_]:=1/x Limit[a[x],x->0,Direction->+1] +Inf Limit[a[x],x->0,Direction->+1] -Inf Limit[a[x],x->0]. +Inf.... Maybe my calculus knowledge is a bit rusty but does the limit exist in this case?? Thank you