RE: To print and not to print

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg39358] RE: [mg39320] To print and not to print
  • From: David.Annetts at
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:53:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Emilio,
> I have a  program with a lot of  *Print["Something"] *  calls
> imbedded.
> This calls are there for intermediate computation tracing
> purposes; in
> other words, I want this in case I need to trace some points in some
> instances of some computations, as a (standard) service of my
> program. But
> I would like to be able to disable this printing facility by
> using some
> standard Mathematica variable/option like *DisplayFunction ->
> Identitiy* if
> available. Any clue?

You might try setting the program up with an option called Debug.  Printing
would then be controlled by statements like:-
	If[Debug, Print[... stuff ...]];

  Dr. David Annetts
  EM Modelling Analyst
  CSIRO DEM            Tel: +612 9490 5416
  North Ryde           Fax: +612 9490 5467
  Australia         David.Annetts at