Need for (FindFit, Refine) ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42456] Need for (FindFit, Refine) ?
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:24:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

In Mathematica version 5 we have new functions FindFit, and Refine.

Why do we need FindFit when we already had Fit?
What can we do with Refine that we couldn't previously do with Simplify or
FullSimplify?

If (FindFit and Refine) can do things we can't do with (Fit, Simplify,
FullSimplify) could they have just made the existing functions more
powerful?

Maybe I missed something, but It seems this is very much like Mathematica
functions Subtract, Minus, and Divide which one never needs.  I would prefer
they only add to the collection of built-in symbols when the new symbols
have added value.

Why?
(1) A Mathematica with 3000 functions is harder to master than one with 1500
functions  (or at least it seems that way to a beginner).
(2) Increasing the number of symbols increases the chance of problems due to
shadowed symbols.

---------
Thanks,
    Ted Ersek