RE: Polar contour PLots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42465] RE: [mg42458] Polar contour PLots
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:36:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ashish,

You can make shaded or colored circular contour plots using the Mathematica
DrawGraphics package from my web site below. There is an example in the
DrawGraphics Help under DrawingPaper\FineGrainPolygons.

The Mathematica ContourPlot, or ListContourPlot, always makes rectangular
plots. So you can make a rectangular plot in the r-theta plane. But that is
not what you want. With DrawGraphics you can first make the r-theta plot,
then use a routine FineGrainPolygons, which converts long straight lines in
Polygons to multiple point lines, and then use DrawingTransform to convert
from the r-theta plane to the x-y plane. The result is a nice circular
contour plot. FineGrainPolygons must be used so that any long straight lines
on the boundary of the r-theta plane plot will bend properly under the
transformation to the x-y plane.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Ashish Taneja [mailto:taneja at chs2s0.engr.ccny.cuny.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi
I am a student at City college, New York. I was trying to make contour
plots in polar co ordinates but couldnot find any function in mathematica
that would make it. My data is in form of a data file with data in r,
theta and value of function (f).
I want to make a contour plot similar to  what ListContourPLot[ ] would
generate.

Thanks

Ashish