Re: Eulerian angles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42711] Re: Eulerian angles
  • From: "John Doty" <jpd at space.mit.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 04:40:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bfdqms$skt$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "Dr. Robert Kragler"
<kragler at fh-weingarten.de> wrote:

> What I was originally interested in is the inverse problem : given the
> position in Cartesian coordinates (on a sphere) and determine the
> corresponding Euler angles. As far as I understand it this problem has
> no straightforward solution only using nonlinear least square fitting.
> Perhaps, you are aware of a good treatment of this inverse problem.

Well, you need at least two vectors in each frame. While the least-squares
problem is nonlinear, if it is formulated carefully the nonlinearity is
relatively benign and an iteritive method can converge very rapidly. I
have a notebook describing this at:

http://space.mit.edu/~jpd/LinTrigFunc.html

This describes a way of obtaining the matrix representation of a rotation:
once you have that, of course, it is straightforward to solve for your
favorite Euler angles.

--
John Doty		"You can't confuse me, that's my job."
Home: jpd at w-d.org
Work: jpd at space.mit.edu