RE: about real part

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41201] RE: [mg41176] about real part
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 03:52:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Duanxiang,

First you have to put spaces between the variables you are multiplying. Then
you have to use ComplexExpand.

Re[( I w t + (L + 1)L t D)^1/2]
% // ComplexExpand

(1/2)*(-Im[t*w] + Re[D*L*(1 + L)*t])
(D*L*t)/2 + (1/2)*D*L^2*t

In doing complex algebra you will have to use ComplexExpand a lot. (It
should almost be called ComplexSimplify.) Also, check the TargetFunctions
option for ComplexExpand. You will sometimes want to use...

ComplexExpand[expr, TargetFunctions -> {Re,Im}]

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Duanxiang Xu [mailto:duanxiangxu at yahoo.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi, all

I have problem when I was trying to get the real part
of a complex expression,
like
Re[(Iwt+(L+1)LtD)^1/2]
here w,L,D are real paramaters and t is real variable
Mathematica seems could do nothing about this

Anyone could help me?

Thanks,
Duanxiang