Re: Euler's Gamma and Beta Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41392] Re: Euler's Gamma and Beta Functions
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 05:51:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Raz,

the Euler Beta function appeared in elementary particle physics as a
model for the scattering amplitude in the so called "dual resonance
model". Introduced by Veneziano in the 1970th in order to fit
experimeltal data it soon turned out that the basic physics behind this
model is the string (instead of the zero-dimensional mass point). I
recommend to look for "string theory, history" on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wolfgang