Beginner question: operating on piecewise defined functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41609] Beginner question: operating on piecewise defined functions
  • From: Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 04:57:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If I define a piecewise function as, say:

f[x_] := 1/x^2 /; x >= 1
f[x_] := 1 /; x < 1

then how can I get Mathematica to operate on it, as in:

Limit[f[x], {x->Infinity}]

Just trying that returns the expression unevaluated, even though
defining:

g[x_] := 1/x^2

and trying:
Limit[g[x], {x -> Infinity}]