Making anti-aliased fonts work for 4.1 + KDE?

I'm using 4.1 with KDE on a Linux machine and everything works fine in turns
of finding all fonts and printing. However, my desktop uses anti-aliased
TTF fonts which works for every other application - besides Mathematica -
where no anti-aliasing is applied to the fonts.

This should be a feature of the X-font server so Mathematicas front-end
should be able to transparantly use anti-aliasing (like every other app)
but it doesn't for some reason.

I haven't found anything on this problem in the FAQ (just about missing
fonts which is a problem I don't have)

Anyone knows if the front end is supposed to support this ?

(I've been living with this glitch for ~2 years but it would be nice if it
could work)

---
Johan