  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44480] Thanks
  • From: martinro at
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:01:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Thanks for the advice with the fluid dynamics problem.  To Paul and
Andrzej, I did know that Wolfram meant to bypass the whole problem of
solving the differential equations, because that goes against his whole
philosophy of ANKOS; however, the issue with systems such as weather, I
think, is that to be able and compute any kind of realistic answer would
require immensely accurate initial conditions, and the ability to have the
correct CA program.  I thought it would be easier to just learn how to
apply the differential equations.  In the end I a professor helped build a
model into Mathematica based on a paper from the middle eighties about the
growth of galaxies, which can be described as a turbulent fluid; thus I can
make the same conjectures about the cellular automata this way.  Thanks for
the help!!