piecewise definition of a function

I'd like to define a function in a piecewise manner.  As of yet I've
been unsuccessful with even the simplest example.  Consider the
following:

first define a 1-d bump,

f[x_] = If[x < 0, 0,If[x > 1, 0, 1]]
  Mathematica doesn't seem to mind this, as f[0.1] evaluates 1 and
f[-23] evaluates 0.
The problem comes when I try to integrate the function.  The
following command which should evaluate to 1 doesn't work AT ALL!

Integrate[f[x], {x, -50, 50}]

What is the proper technique here?

Nathan Moore
University of Minnesota Physics