Problems understanding code

Hello,

I have some Mathematica 3.0 code that I'm trying to understand. There
is one line I quite don't understand, and I was unable to find an
explanation on the web. Maybe someone here could help me.

Here is the code:

id=IdentityMatrix[n(n+1)(n+2)/6];
Do[M[i]=id[[Flatten[Table[mu[i,j,k] ,{j, 0, n-1},{k, j, n-1}]]]], {i,
0, n-1}];

where the mu[i,j,k] are values defined earlier. What I do not
understand is the "id[[". What does it mean ?

Many thanks in advance.

-- Emmanuelle