Re: Re: Is there any productive way to use Mathematica + pdfLaTeX?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47443] Re: [mg47417] Re: Is there any productive way to use Mathematica + pdfLaTeX?
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:44:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I've always exported as an EPS and then used Ghostviewer's "PS -> EPS"
> function, followed by "epstopdf" to drop 'em into pdfLaTeX but have
> never
> found how to get around the font issue so the resulting PDFs have very
> unattractive text elements. Any suggestions, barring springing the
> cash for
> Distiller?

One should be able to get around the font issue using psfrag, which
lets one replace text in the PostScript file with LaTeX code (using the
Computer Modern fonts).  Unfortunately, psfrag only works (I think)
using the latex->dvi->dvips toolchain.  What you might try is the
following:

1. create a one-page LaTeX file with no page numbers that includes the
Mathematica graphic,

2. use psfrag to replace the text in the PostScript graphic,

3. convert foo.dvi to foo.eps using dvips -E -Ppdf foo.dvi  -o

4. convert the eps to pdf using epstopdf.

Once you've done all that, you'll have a nice PDF file with computer
modern fonts instead of the Mathematica fonts.

Jason
--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method