Re: Convert all graphics to reduce file size?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47464] Re: [mg47411] Convert all graphics to reduce file size?
  • From: Omega Consulting <info at omegaconsultinggroup.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:26:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Apr 9, 2004, at 3:45 AM, Peter Dickof wrote:

> I would like to convert the graphics in a large number of notebooks to
> save space. Jim Jennings wrote:
>
>> I know how to use the Cell->Convert To->Bitmap menu command to convert
>> selected graphics cells to Bitmap form.
>
> for the purpose of saving space, and P.J. Hinton wrote
>
>> There is an undocumented key-mouse combination that can be used to
>> select all cells of a given style.  The combination is
>> platform-specific:
>>
>> MacOS X : Option-Click
>> Windows : Alt-Left Click
>> X Window: Mod2-Mouse 1
>>
>> If you perform this operation while clicking on the bracket of a
>> Graphics style cell, then all cells having that same style will be
>> selected.
>
> How can I write code to do this without any user intervention? I can
> use NotebookFind[nb,"Graphics",Next,CellStyle] to find each graphics
> cell in turn, but how do I tell Mathematica to do the conversion
> without mouse clicks?

To select all graphics cells:
NotebookFind[nb,"Graphics",All,CellStyle]

To convert the graphics, you have to use the command associated with
the menu item. This is in a file called MenuSetup.tr. The command for
this item is called a frontend token. It can be executed from the
kernel with:

FrontEndExecute[{FrontEndToken[
   nb, "SelectionConvert", "Bitmap"
]}]

Omega Consulting
The final answer to your Mathematica needs.
http://omegaconsultinggroup.com