Good policies for initialization?

I would like to setup the auto-loading of certain packages and to
define certain functions to be run every time I start a Mathematica
session.

I know I can put commands in the init.m file, but there are several of
them and I would like to get a sense of what experienced Mathematica
users do in this situation so that I can develop a good practice.

Thanks in advance.