  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47556] Re: When Is Precision[ ] $MachinePrecision, And When Is It Not?
  • From: bobhanlon at aol.com (Bob Hanlon)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:20:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Compare Help Browser entries for Equal and SameQ

N[2/3]===2/3

False

Bob Hanlon

In article <c5lfo0$bt2$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold
Noffke) wrote:

<< Thanks for your examples.  I thought about them, and found a very
short one which still bothers me, because the answer is not what I
expected ...

In[1]:= N[2/3]

Out[1]= 0.666667

In[2]:= N[2/3]==2/3

Out[2]= True

lhs == rhs returns True if lhs and rhs are identical.