Re: programatically feed Mathematica kernel location to MathKernel.Connect Method ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47800] Re: [mg47786] programatically feed Mathematica kernel location to MathKernel.Connect Method ?
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 01:42 AM 4/26/2004, cdj wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm calling the mathematica kernel from c#, and I'm getting sick of
>entering the location of the mathematica kernel everytime I wanna
>perform a computation.
>
>I'd like to search the registry for a mathematica install, get the
>directory path to the kernel, and feed that path the Connect method
>(that seems like a good plan, at any rate). This way, when connect (or
>compute) is called, the whole open-kernel-dialog business is done away
>with, and the kernel is loaded without further input from the user.

That is already the default behavior for .NET/Link. If you call
MathLinkFactory.CreateKernelLink() with no arguments, it automatically
launches the Mathematica kernel. Same thing if you call
MathKernel.Connect() with no arguments. You can even skip the call to
Connect() and just have the kernel launched the first time you call Compute().

If you are calling MathKernel.Connect() with no arguments, you should not
see a dialog box asking you to find the kernel. Try launching the
MathKernelApp example program
(NETLink\Examples\Part2\MathKernelApp\bin\Debug\MathKernelApp.exe) and see
if you also see a dialog box. If you do, contact me directly and we can
determine what it is about your installation of Mathematica that is causing
the automatic search mechanism to fail.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research