Re: Package functionality moved to kernel

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg52580] Re: Package functionality moved to kernel
  • From: DrBob <drbob at>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 03:53:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

After getting to the Appendix you mentioned below, click on the "From the LinearAlgebra Directory" entry in the third pane at the top of the Help browser.

I think Help means to say (in its frequently obtuse way) that VectorNorm and MatrixNorm are replaced by the kernel function Norm, but otherwise the package hasn't changed.

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:21:10 -0500 (EST), The Phantom <phantom at> wrote:

> In the online help under the tab, "The Mathematica Book", type packages, then GO;
> You will see a topic, "functions moved to kernel, Appendix: Functions Moved to the Kernel"
> click this, and you will see some text suggesting that the package
> "LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`" has had its functionality moved to the kernel in
> version 5.
> But if you start up Mathematica 5.1 without loading that package, a typical function from
> that package, such as TakeMatrix does not appear to be available.
> Has Wolfram failed to move the package functionality and just jumped the gun in telling us
> that it is moved, or am I doing something wrong?

DrBob at