How input stacked characters with vertical bar

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52754] How input stacked characters with vertical bar
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:23:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In a text cell, as part of an in-line mathematical expression, how do I
type a stacked pair of expressions, both the same size.  For example,
the stacked b above a, next to a long vertical bar, as you would see in
a statement of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus that expresses the
definite integral as F(b) - F(a).

And which is the appropriate symbol for that vertical bar?  Is there
some way to force it to expand vertically to the extent of the stacked
expressions next to it, or must one do so manually.

(Sorry, I have the feeling I've asked this before, but evidently it's
something I have trouble remembering and/or it's something hard to find
in the docs.)
Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305