Re: How input stacked characters with vertical bar

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53031] Re: How input stacked characters with vertical bar
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:35:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <cpekge$74l$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> In a text cell, as part of an in-line mathematical expression, how do I
> type a stacked pair of expressions, both the same size.  For example,
> the stacked b above a, next to a long vertical bar, as you would see in
> a statement of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus that expresses the
> definite integral as F(b) - F(a).

Just as you do for an integral or a sum. Use

  \[ControlKey] -

(subscript) for the lower limit and toggle to the upper limit using

   \[ControlKey] 5

These are in the

   Edit | Expression Input

menu.

> And which is the appropriate symbol for that vertical bar?

  \[VerticalSeparator]

The keyboard shortcut is

   esc | esc

> Is there some way to force it to expand vertically to the extent of the
> stacked expressions next to it, or must one do so manually.

Select the VerticalSeparator, open the Option Inspector, type in span,
hit return, and set the SpanMaxSize to Infinity.

Here is an example of such a cell:

   Cell[BoxData[FormBox[RowBox[{RowBox[{"F", "(", "x", ")"}],
      SubsuperscriptBox[StyleBox["\[VerticalSeparator]",
         SpanMaxSize->Infinity], "a", "b"]}],
      TraditionalForm]], "Input"
   ]

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul