shuffling (randomizing) a series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52857] shuffling (randomizing) a series
  • From: George Szpiro <george at netvision.net.il>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:26:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I would like to put a series of numbers (of the order of 10^7 numbers) into
random order, i.e., to shuffle it. In Excel I would simply add a column next
to the column with the data, and then sort by the random number. But I could
only do this for 64000 numbers. How can I do that in Mathematica for a file with a
much larger series?

(could you please copy any answer to my address:
george at netvision.net.il)

Thanks!
George

--