Re: simply problem (not for me) about axes scale

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52967] Re: [mg52936] simply problem (not for me) about axes scale
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:59:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Use AspectRatio -> Automatic, as in:

     Plot[Exp[x], {x, 0, 1}, AspectRatio -> Automatic];

The default value of that option is  1/GoldenRatio (which gives
allegedly pleasing relative axis lengths).

To learn how to do such things, you should consult the Mathematica Book
in print or as part of the electronic Help system that is by default
installed with Mathematica.  (Such options for Plot are discussed in
subsection 1.9.2.)

The general principle is that modifications to default behavior of a
function are typically provided by options, and you can discover all the
options for a function by using the Options function, which also shows
the default value for each option.  Thus:

     Options[Plot]

{AspectRatio -> 1/GoldenRatio, Axes -> Automatic,
   AxesLabel -> None, AxesOrigin -> Automatic,
   AxesStyle -> Automatic, Background -> Automatic,
   ColorOutput -> Automatic, Compiled -> True,
   DefaultColor -> Automatic, DefaultFont :>
    $DefaultFont, DisplayFunction :> $DisplayFunction,
   Epilog -> {}, FormatType :> $FormatType,
   Frame -> False, FrameLabel -> None,
   FrameStyle -> Automatic, FrameTicks -> Automatic,
   GridLines -> None, ImageSize -> Automatic,
   MaxBend -> 10., PlotDivision -> 30.,
   PlotLabel -> None, PlotPoints -> 25,
   PlotRange -> Automatic, PlotRegion -> Automatic,
   PlotStyle -> Automatic, Prolog -> {},
   RotateLabel -> True, TextStyle :> $TextStyle,
   Ticks -> Automatic}

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305