Re: Redefining the minus operator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53027] Re: Redefining the minus operator
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:34:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <cp3shr$969$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Ben Kovitz <bkovitz at acm.org>
wrote:

> Here's what I'm trying to do:  derive theorems mechanically in
> Mathematica.  I'd like to be able to take, say, a trig theorem and a
> few arithmetic theorems (like a + a == 2a), and see what other theorems
> those generate.  Hopefully I could also make a visualization of the
> graph of logical implication and equivalence relations.
>
> For this purpose, I need to turn off *all* of Mathematica's
> simplification code, and invoke just the pattern-matching code.  I'd
> also like the results to look nice, but you've shown me that it's far
> simpler to just define a PLUS function and not even bother trying to
> talk Mathematica out of its normal interpretation of +.
>
> I'm thinking of making an ever-growing list of theorems and just taking
> Cases or another pattern-matching function on it.  A potential problem
> with this is just that it could get slow.  I don't think DispatchTable
> would be of much use, since the list produced is static, and my list of
> theorems will grow and grow.

I would recommend that you have a look at Theorema

  http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/buchberg/theorema_project.html

and also the work by Ronald Monson <Ronald.Monson at vu.edu.au>, formerly at
The University of Western Australia but now at Victoria University in
Melbourne.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul