Re: Condition , FullSimplify

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg53184] Re: [mg53168] Condition , FullSimplify
  • From: DrBob <drbob at>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:30:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

>> I find it useful and practical using the first notation.

I don't see how, since it doesn't work! (You wouldn't be asking the question, if it did.)

The problem is that expr/;condition//FullSimplify doesn't mean FullSimplify[expr,cond] in Mathematica; it's really just that simple.

It does mean FullSimplify[expr/;condition], but that's not likely to be of much use. As far as I can tell, expr/;condition is useless without SetDelayed or RuleDelayed.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:41:40 -0500 (EST), sebastian.cohen at <sebastian.cohen at> wrote:

> Wolfram Staff,
> I would like to know why the following class of statements don't work
> given
> expr /; condition // FullSimplify
> Although one may express them easily as
> FullSimplify[expr,cond]
> I find it useful and practical using the first notation.
> Is there a way to tell Mathematica at the end expressions both the
> conditions and to fullsimplify without having to write the whole
> fullsimplify function?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sebastian Cohen S

DrBob at