Re: Excel Link Problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg53182] Re: Excel Link Problem
  • From: nafod40 <noneya at>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:30:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

actuary at wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm working on a project that involves calculating Maximum Likelihood
> Estimates of the 6 parameters of a 2 Regime LSwitching LogNormal Model.
> I developed a Mathematica program to describe the Likelihood function.
> The program produces correct values.  I verified the results by
> comparing results to values produced by another program that has been
> professionally peer reviewed.
> I placed my Mathematica code into a M-Code sheet of an Excel
> spreadsheet and can successfully call the function using Excel Link.
> The problem that I have is that after using Solver to correctly
> calculate a set of MLE values for a given set of starting values,
> subsequent calls produce an error.

Do you mean subsequent runs of the solver? I am asking, because each
time the solver solves, it runs the Mathematica code many times.

   The error message reads "Argument
> Not Optional".  The message appears to be generated as a result of
> running a Visual Basic Application which confuses me since I am not
> knowingly running a VBA program.

The Mathlink for Excel product is a VBA application (or something like
that) so that could be the source too.

Some other questions:
- Is your code in the Excel sheet itself, or are you linking to a *.m file?
- Can you manually run the function multiple times?
- Does solver hit it multiple times?