Re: How to plot...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46058] Re: How to plot...
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:19:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 2/3/04 at 6:20 PM, H.L.Owen at dl.ac.uk (Owen, HL (Hywel)) wrote:

>Plot[Evaluate[Sin[x]/x], {x, -5, 5}] works just fine. I don't
>understand what you're trying to in your definition of f3 though.

A couple of comments.

First, Evaluate is not needed in this case.

Sercond, it is only by chance this works with no errors. Mathematica uses an adaptive sampling algorithm. And as long as sin(x)/x is not sampled at x = 0, doing Plot[Sin[x]/x,{x, xmin, xmax}] will work fine without any error messages. However, some choices of xmin and xmax will cause Mathematica to sample the function at x = 0 which will generate an error unless there is a specific rule written to define Sin[x]/x to be 1 at x = 0.