How do I Copy an error message to a text document, as text?

How do I Copy an error message to a text editor document (BBEdit, to be
specific) as just plain text (what I see in the notebook cell)?

I think I've now tried every possible Copy and Copy As . . .  option in
the Mac front end menus for Mathematica 4.2, with the text selected and
with the cell bracket selected; and every one of them (fourteen cases in
all) gives me a messy version of the error message with a bunch of
formatting markup stuff inserted.

Frustrating!!!